With all the health and fitness advise at our fingertips, it’s hard to distinguish fact from fiction. As a medical professional and National & World Champion in bodybuilding, I have designed an accurate guide to losing the weight and looking great. In this article I will walk you step-by-step to achieving the body you’ve always dreamed of!
Wake Up & Get Going
Attitude is key. How you chose to begin your day will lay the groundwork for how everything pans out. Wake up each morning with a fresh start and positive attitude. Imbed mantras such as, “I’m ready for this!” and “I CAN change!” into your daily vocabulary, and watch positive actions fall into place.
AM Workouts = Better Results
By starting your day off with a workout, you’re not only eliminating excuses for why you cant get to it later, but your body will thank you for the extra boost of energy. When you first wake up, your body is working at its’ prime to burn extra fat and catablolize those additional calories. These catabolic hormones are roaring and ready to go, first thing in the morning, breaking down any excess fat. Follow these simple steps during your morning workout routine for prime results:
- Exercise before eating breakfast: Your body will become sluggish and unable to burn as many calories if you ingest carbohydrates and increase your insulin levels. By exercising on an empty stomach, stored fat will find it’s way out through an increase metabolism.
- Drink Coffee Black: If you do feel that you need an extra boost before you start working out, drink a cup of coffee. The additional caffeine to your system will spike your fat burning session to a new level, and keep you focused for the entire workout. Beware of putting any cream, sugar, or artificial sweeteners! These supplements are counteractive to the benefits of coffee.
- Drink Water: It should go without saying, but water is key! Remember that coffee isn’t the only liquid your body can survive on, so stay hydrated.
Are You Exercising Properly?
The most common reason why people do not see effective weight loss results from diet and exercise can be attributed to their daily routines. Have you noticed that after months of exercising, that nothing is changing? It probably means that your everyday routine is not consistent. By working out improperly, you are stopping the weight loss and body transformation process. Any accurate method of exercising will transform body mass and create a more lean figure. Use these tips to find a consistent rhythm to each day, in order to see optimal results:
- Shorten Your Warm Up: Stretching or warming up should only take up 5-10 minutes of your workout. This short session will prime your muscles for a tough session of endurance and strength training.
- Start With Weight Training: Work on resistance and weight training for the first 30 minutes of your workout. Utilize machines, free weights, or whatever else you may have available for you to maximize results. Focus on short spurts of muscle contraction, with no more than 60-seconds of rest between each set.
- Feel The Glycogen: By starting to your working with weight training, you are able to produce larger amounts of glycogen. This form of glucose is the element that stores away to give you energy. Anaerobic workouts will deplete the glycogen stored away in your muscles and liver, making way for a shift in energy, which will result in burning fat. This stored element must be eliminated before you will be able to see the results from cardio activity.
- Aerobic Training: Cardio is the next step of your workout process. In order to start burning fat, aerobic activity is key! Utilize your favorite form of aerobic training (elliptical, bike, jogging, walking, etc.), for 30-45 minutes, to get your heart rate up to the fat burning level. Most levels are between 110 – 140 bps. To find your fat burning zone, use this formula:
- VO2 Max (Aerobic Oxygen Consumption) = (220 – Your Age) x 60
- Stay Motivated: It’s easy to fall off the wagon and become frustrated with activity that may be difficult. Remember that every step towards exercise makes you closer to your goal! Be patient and understanding of your emotions. This process is guaranteed to get easier with consistent practice and focus. Life changes require a commitment, and results don’t happen overnight. Stick to your daily routine of eating right and exercising correctly, and you’ll be sure to see results!